14 October 2013

Sandwich Alternatives: Tuna Turnovers & Recipe.




I don't know about you, but there are only so many sandwich fillings and combinations I can take before I'm ready to skip lunch entirely. I love food and I love making mealtimes more interesting, so I've decided to do a little series to bust the boredom at lunchtime: Sandwich Alternatives. The first to star are these tuna turnovers - incredibly easy to make and delicious, they're great as a snack or as a replacement for your usual lunchtime sandwich. I've been making these since I was really young, and every time it's not long before they're all gone!



The recipe is from a book I've had forever, and it's a kids book - so I can guarantee that this is one of the easiest things you will ever make.



You can add or take away things from the filling. I made a standard tuna filling with nothing added - but I do like to add sweetcorn, spring onion and cheese like the original recipe states.



Don't be put off by the fact that you have to make the pastry yourself. It's actually really easy and I promise you it is quicker to make it than to go out and buy some.



These tuna turnovers taste great warm or cold, and they are SO moreish. The recipe in the book says it makes about 24 but I made 12 - so you can make them however big or small you like, just keep an eye on how long you cook them for.

Recipe for Tuna Turnovers

Ingredients:

For the pastry:


225g plain flour
125g unsalted butter
Pinch salt
4 tbsp cold water
Pastry cutter (I used a plastic tub because I couldn't find any pastry cutters)

For the filling: 

Tin of tuna
2-3 tbsp mayonnaise
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper

Optional:
50g grated cheddar
One spring onion finely sliced
A tin of sweetcorn
Whatever else you fancy

Method:

Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6




Put flour, salt and butter (cut up into cubes) into a bowl and rub together with your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.


I decided to add 50g grated cheese at this point - but you can leave this step out if you want plain pastry.

Next, add the water and combine with a knife until wet enough to form a ball of dough: 

With a rolling pin, roll the dough out onto a clean, floured surface.

Use your pastry cutter to cut out circles into the dough.


Transfer the discs to a baking tray.  

Note: you don't need to grease the tray or use any baking parchment - the butter in the pastry is enough to stop the discs from sticking.

Now mix up your filling ingredients. I simply mixed my mayo into the tuna, seasoned it with salt and pepper and added the lemon juice and I was good to go. 

As I said previously, if you want to add more flavour you can do by adding spring onion, sweetcorn, cheese or whatever else you fancy.

Spoon a small amount of tuna onto each pastry disc.

Using a little milk, wet the edges of the pastry discs and fold each one over to form a half moon shape like this:

Press the edges down to secure the filling.

Brush a little more milk over the top of the turnovers.

Pop them into the oven for 15 minutes. Check that they're brown all over and serve.




Mmmm. Hot, buttery, tuna filled goodness.

What are your sandwich alternatives? Will you have a go at these tuna turnovers? Do let me know in the comment box or tweet me @hello_flower - I'd love to know what you think.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig