9 October 2013

Bullet in the Brain - Tobias Wolff

Day 28: Second-person bank robbery.

Two years ago I was in my second year of University. I picked a class called 'Writing, Re-writing & Showcasing Your Work' led by one of my favourite lecturers Tyler Keevil (author of The Drive and Fireball - both of which are on my Christmas list - check out his website here).

Unfortunately scheduled at 9.15 in the morning and a twenty minute walk from my house, it was a struggle to get to these classes but I forced myself out of bed and onto campus, because these lectures were so interesting, and I loved the poems and stories we studied.

One story that stood out in particular was Tobias Wolff's Bullet in the Brain.
We read it individually prior to the lecture, and then watched the short film in class. When I looked at today's title for the Creative Writing Challenge, I thought, no way. I'm not writing a 'second-person bank robbery' piece - I could never top Wolff's story. So here it is. Perhaps I am just being lazy, but all writers are, now and again, and I'd like to show off one of my favourite short stories instead of write something for the sake of writing.

Tom Noonan is exceptional in this.

Take less than 15 minutes of your day to watch the film, split into two parts. I can promise you you will not regret it.



 "They is. They is. They is."

Original short story available to read here.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig