16 October 2013

Review - Collected Quotations Journal

 
Back in August, my Grandpa came to visit and one day we took a trip to Crickhowell, a town just down the road from Abergavenny. A quaint little place, the high street is dotted with independent coffee shops, clothing, jewellery and accessory stores and my favourite - 'Book-ish' - an independent book shop.

I love to go into Book-ish to get ideas for Birthday and Christmas present ideas. The range of products is fantastic. There is something for everyone, including artwork, fiction, non-fiction, stationery and childrens books, plus much more. I always see something I love that I have to put on my own wishlist. 

On this occasion, I found this beautiful hardback journal 'Collected Quotations - A Journal to Record and Remember Words of Wisdom.'*



I am a bit of a hoarder of notebooks, journals - anything I can write in. I have a box of old diaries stored up in the attic and more stuffed in a drawer under my bed. I counted them once and the grand total was 33. What I had to write about so desperately, I don't know. I dare not read back through them. I have told my family, however, that when I die they have full permission to do whatever they wish with them. Read them, give them away, burn them, whatever.

Anyway, Book-ish has the tendency to draw me in at the worst of times - when I have no spare money to spend on a new book, poster or diary. However, my Grandpa saw me eyeing up this journal and insisted he buy it for me. As soon as I got home I wrote my name in it and it has been a treasure ever since.
 
Inside is a content page of each section in which you can write down your favourite quotes. I love the size, colour and style of the font. (Font is always important).

Each 'chapter' of the journal opens with a quote from a source relevant to the topic. 


And on each page is a space where you can write your favourite quotes, the date, source and any notes you may wish to add.




Every so often you'll come across a page which has been illustrated with a famous quote:


The artwork is one of the reasons I love this journal so much. I think it is unique and interesting, unlike a lot of tacky looking journals you see on the high street.
Some pages have extra space - for example in the Speeches chapter, where more space is obviously needed.  



This is my favourite section which, as you can see I have already made a start on. I am trying to only write down significant, startling or eye-opening quotes:


I like this one purely because I love Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz:


Some of the things my family come out with should definitely be noted, for comical reasons, mostly, but as my Grandpa gave this journal to me I would like to include some of the words of wisdom he has given me over the years.


I really like the 'Other Sources' section, because you never know what you might overhear on the train or read in an article.



This would make a fantastic gift for a friend or family member as Christmas is coming up. I wanted to share it with you all because it is so beautiful and something I have been looking for for a long time. I have a feeling I'll be filling this journal with my favourite quotations for many years to come.

You can visit the Book-ish website here where a selection of their stock is available to view and purchase. Or, if you're in the area, you can visit the shop at: 23 High Street, Crickhowell, Powys NP8 1BD. 

Is there anyone else who likes to hoard an unhealthy amount of journals? I find there is something very therapeutic about writing in new - and old - notebooks.

*Published by Chronicle Books, San Fransisco, 2012.
SHARE:

1 comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig