7 September 2013

DIY Breakfast Condiments - Blueberry Syrup

Although currently unemployed, I still maintain that Saturdays warrant a lie-in and breakfast of something other than porridge and green tea. That stuff may make my insides happy but I need my sugar fix sometimes. (All the time).

I like my condiments. Is that what they're called? I think of ketchup and mayonnaise but what else would you class maple syrup as? Well, this is my 'DIY condiment': Blueberry syrup, and it goes exceptionally well with my favourite homemade pancakes.

I can't remember where this idea came from, but it happened in the summer of 2010 when I was free all summer before embarking on a Creative Writing degree. I decided to make pancakes for breakfast pretty much every day. That was a good summer, and this was some good blueberry syrup.

We had some yucky blueberries in the fridge. Sorry, Asda but they were really bad. Mushy and flavourless, they were chucked into a pan with some Canadian maple syrup my parents brought back from their trip to Montreal. My attempt to save these little purple souls resulted in a beautiful bubbling blueberry topping for my pancakes. This made for a great start to my Saturday. 

You can also make this on a Sunday. Or a Monday. Or any day of the week. Hey, just because summer is over, doesn't mean we can't still have pancakes and blueberry syrup every day :)


Recipe for Blueberry Syrup

Ingredients:
  • 150g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 3 tbsp maple syrup or golden syrup
Wash the blueberries, put them in a small saucepan on a low heat and add the syrup.



Leave to cook for about 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally.



When it looks like this, turn off the heat and let it cool slightly before transferring to a jug.

Serve with pancakes, waffles, french toast - whatever you fancy.
 
Do you like the idea of blueberries in a syrup? The pancakes absorbed it all up and turned a lovely purple colour! If you try this recipe let me know in the comment box below or tweet me @hello_flower.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig