28 July 2014

A Nostalgic Lunch at Pollok House – Glasgow

Experiences, and memories of experiences in places create feelings that are pretty hard to dislodge. For the most part, though, they can stay where they are. I like the feeling of happiness I get when I visit my mum's side of the family in Glasgow. It's a place that will always remind me of love and nice, friendly people, and having a good time. It's like a second home, despite being hundreds of miles from my first one, and I love it. Do you ever feel like that?

Pollok House is a short drive from Glasgow city centre, through Pollok Country Park in which highland cattle graze and men play golf. It's idyllic, a step back in time, and a world away from the busy city centre. We went there for lunch on a Saturday, and we were greeted by my Grandpa's friend, who was the most welcoming, jolly waiter. The quality of service really does make a difference when eating out.

The restaurant is in the downstairs kitchen area of the house, and it looks as if nothing has changed in the hundreds of years its been standing. The house is beautiful, clean and brings back childhood memories of spending my pocket money on soor plooms from the gift shop, (and probably Downton Abbey for first time visitors in 2014) but this time we were hungry for some lunch.

I ordered the chicken and bacon open club sandwich and a pot of peppermint tea, and Grandpa chose the ham and mustard open sandwich.

It was the best sandwich I had had in a long time. It was served cold, despite the bread being toasted - yet it was still delicious and everything worked so well together. There was just the right amount of mayonnaise, and the amount of chicken and bacon piled on top of each layer was brilliant - far too often do I go out for lunch and get the measliest portion of meat on my plate.
Grandpa's sandwich was equally generous and delicious. We both finished our sandwiches and decided to go home for an afternoon nap. But not before taking some pictures of the gorgeous park in which Pollok House is situated.
 
A visit to Glasgow is complete with a visit to Pollok House, even if it's just for a little look around. If you've never been, I recommend that you do! It's so much fun to do something a little different, and even if big old houses aren't your thing, who can say no to a delicious lunch served in such a beautiful dining area?

You can find out more about Pollok House here. I can't wait to go back again!


SHARE:

6 comments

  1. that lunch looks amazing! and what a sweet little group of cows! I'd love to visit Pollok House someday, if I ever make it across the pond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts always make me so hungry!

    I nominated you for a Liebster award!

    http://pretty-little-design.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/nominated-for-liebster-award.html

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to glasgow (I hardly ever travel!!!), but this looks delicious as per, you know how to tempt me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful setting for a resturant! your blog is delicious. I wanted to let you know I recently came across your blog and I've tagged you for a Liebster award! If you decide to accept it check my post for the questions!

    -Arielle | www.loveofsweeties.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you describe places that feel like second homes. I know exactly what you mean and you hit the nail on the head describing it. Glad you had such a lovely time! I've never been to Glasgow, but you're making me want to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One off cleaning service Glasgow offered by a professional domestic cleaning company. Reliable one off house cleaners cover all Glasgow areas.
    One Off Cleaner Glasgow

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig