12 May 2014

Loving: Shura

It's a rare occurrence when I find a musician I really like. I don't mean for that to sound ostentatious, because it's my own fault really – I'm not very good at seeking out music, I don't really get it, I just want someone to show me where all the good stuff is hiding. So when I do discover music I like, it's music I really like, and recently I have been loving one particular new(ish) artist.

Shura.


I almost ran to my car after work. It was dark and the whirring sound of the stand alone flood light filled the desolate building site with a harsh whiteness. When I was inside I was ok, and I put the radio on, even though it's rubbish after 6. None of us like working lates, and I only had... twelve hours til work again.

Still, at least the roads were quiet. Such an old person thing to be happy about. I'm an old person now. I'm a grown up, driving home from work.

It was some southern accent talking 'like' and 'um' on someone's show on Radio 1. I don't remember who. But they began describing a song they had picked to play. It was described as like seeing an ex boyfriend or girlfriend after a long time, and feeling that forgotten, familiar pang of... something, like it had never really gone away, only hidden, and back in your face again it was there – as raw as it was when you said goodbye.

Then they played the song. The song was Touch by Shura, and everything that was said was true, and I fell in love with the song, not because it made me think of my own experiences, but because it was a beautiful song on its own – I forgot all about the initial memories that came to mind when the lyrics came out of the speakers for the first time. I drove home repeating the words Shura, Touch, Shura, Touch, Shura Touch, to make sure I didn't forget. But I couldn't. It made its way into the cove of my mind where few songs rarely reach – where only the best songs go, the ones that really touch me.


SHARE:

5 comments

  1. i love when you stumble across a song that speaks to you like that - going to have a listen to this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's soothing to my soul! The melody is just beautiful. Hope you like it x

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of her before, but I listened and it really has something special.
    Loving a song or not is a very interesting process. I can love a very wide variety of songs and could listen them over and over again when they make me remind of something or make me relive a special moment. The place or the time I hear a new song also has a big impact on my love for the song. The song must mean something to me, it doesn't matter if it's my genre or not :)

    Sofie x
    Little green Sofie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so terrible with finding new music, so this is perfect when someone recommends something.

    Loving this song too!

    Hmm maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Your encouragement motivates me; committed to crafting content that attracts backlinks naturally."
    marty mcfly vest

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig