2 March 2014

Word of the Week

This week I've been loving post-it notes. Before I started working properly I didn't really get the point of them, hoarding a fair amount in my desk but never needing to use them, but now I can't seem to go a day without writing something important down onto one and sticking it on my computer to remind me of what I have learnt.

I have been reading Caitlin Moran's How to Be a Woman and although it's too early to form an opinion, I am pleased that I have learnt new words in the few chapters I have read. I wrote down all the words I didn't know this week onto a post-it note and stuck it on my computer, to look back on at the end of the week and decide which to use for this post.

'Lexicon' is my favourite out of them all. I love the way it rolls off the tongue, like the name Lex, it's pretty and icy. Does that make sense?


I probably won't need to use 'lexicon', ever, but it's worth posting about purely because of the phonetics of the word. Do you like it? What is your word of the week?
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I love new words, I get the Wordsmith word a day emails delivered to me every day, it's so interesting to learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that existed, must sign up to get that too!
      I love learning new words... Not that I can always remember what they mean which is why I write these blog posts :)
      N xo

      Delete
  2. I love this word! Since finishing A Level English there's so many weird & wonderful things to learn :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lush isn't it? And I feel the same – since leaving school, and uni, even, I have learnt more than I did in my entire educational life (it seems that way anyway!)
      N xo

      Delete
  3. Post-it notes are so satisfying! And I am now sitting at my computer mouthing 'lexicon' over and over. Ha! Interested to hear your thoughts on 'How To Be a Woman'...It sounds like a fun read, but yes, keep us posted on what you think! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to read it this week and get a post up on Thursday for world book day.
      Have a great week Hebe!
      N xo

      Delete
  4. Great word! I don't have a current favourite word, but I do have a great phrase, which I'm just waiting to be able to get into a conversation (although I've been waiting a while, not sure how I'm going to manage to get this in naturally):

    "You're perching perilously on the tightrope of taste"

    Apparently some old British King said it one. Can't remember who or why though!

    Victoria, x shabby-chic-home.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the alliteration, and 'perilously' is a nice word too!
      N xo

      Delete
  5. I love vocabulary in general, an old boyfriend used to joke that big words "turned me on" haha. Lately i've been finding more and more reasons to use cataclysm just because I like the way it rolls off the tongue. I also love post it notes - I have all the colors and they litter our house pretty much constantly.
    New follower - Whit from Raspy Wit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha brilliant. I don't even know how to pronounce cataclysm!
      Thanks for following, Whit :)
      N xo

      Delete
  6. I have lots of post-it notes here on my desk, but never use them because I want to save them for - erm - I have no idea when! Should really start using them ...
    I bet that 'lexicon' sounds amazing in your beautiful British English language. This word is written exactly the same in Dutch, but we pronounce it with an 'o' at the end, like in 'body'. No idea if you know what I mean, haha!
    Have a nice week, Naomi!

    Sofie x
    Little green Sofie

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig