24 February 2014

Colonna & Small's Specialty Coffee – Bath

I had the BEST weekend. It was so good, I drove to work this morning smiling. Smiling, on a Monday. Yep. That didn't last long. 

I went to Bath, visited my best friend, met her boyfriend, hung out with old friends and new friends and my sisters and my niece. It was a lovely weekend, but I paid for it today. I was literally falling asleep at my desk I had to take regular breaks to walk it off. It's definitely an early night for me tonight.

When I arrived in Bath on Saturday morning, I found this treasure – Colonna & Small's Specialty Coffee. A shop that knows their coffee. I was so happy when I stepped off the train into the beautiful city, and the sun was shining, so everything was good.

The atmosphere inside was relaxed, friendly and light  – exactly how Saturday mornings should feel. I made my way to the bar and told the barista that I didn't really know what to order but I liked black coffee, and he talked me through his recommendations.

Apparently the three filter coffees are best served black, so I was after one of them – but which one, I had no clue. The poor guy tried his best to explain what each one was like, but when it comes to describing tastes in drinks like tea, coffee and wine, I'm lost. I just don't understand how a coffee can taste floral, or herbal, or nutty! HOWEVER, this all changed on Saturday.

I went for the Debello coffee as it was the strongest one there, and because each coffee is freshly brewed I was told to find a seat and it would be brought to me in a few minutes. I took this time to absorb my surroundings and just be. I love Saturdays. I love Bath. I love going out for coffee on my own.


I never thought I would say this, but I have missed the sun. I want to feel warm again, and not from a winter jumper or the heat from a radiator. When my coffee and croissant arrived and lay in the sun it was a beautiful moment. Then I ate and drank and it was all gone within five minutes and it was, quite possibly, the happiest moment of my week.


I did take those few minutes to taste my coffee and I could in fact taste those 'fruity' flavours I had been promised. I was surprised at the colour of the coffee, it was like a burnt caramel colour, with an amber tinge. It was unlike any coffee I had ever tried before, and it was stunning.

I usually like my coffee super hot, but the barista told me to leave it a minute as it sweetens slightly as it cools, so I did as I was told, and I drank every last drop – there were no nasty dregs at the bottom of this coffee cup.

On my way out I saw this. Cold coffee! So strange.

I must go back to Colonna & Small's and take my mum, who loves coffee even more than I do. It's the perfect place for friends, family, or you by yourself. So, if you're in Bath, treat yourself to a flat white or two. It's on Chapel Row, a stone's throw from the main high street. Find out more here.
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Why have I not been here yet?? It sounds amazing!
    Gutted that I didn't know you were in Bath! Next time you're here we should arrange a little meet up with Daisy (brownpaperdaisies) too! Maybe we could try some more snazzy coffee!
    Also, what gorgeous photographs! The light! Makes me long for the sun. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU SHOULD GO!! It was spectacular.
      Thank you! And yessss I would so love to :)
      N xo

      Delete
  2. It looks like a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this! That place look beautiful!!! I have never been to Bath but i would love to go. I love having time to sit and have coffee alone too. My absolute favourite thing to do when its a little warmer is to get a takeout coffee from my favourite coffee place and to go and sit on the grass infront of the cathedral just round the corner and just people watch. I almost get sad when my coffee is gone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would LOVE Bath, I'm telling you. It is a beautiful city, I wish I could live there!
      And that sounds like a perfect afternoon activity on a day off... I can't wait for summer :)
      N xo

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much Bethan :) I read this before work and it was a lovely start to my day!
    N xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. really good, quality coffee is hard to come by - i think you've found a real gem here! if only there was one in London! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realise until I had been here, but you are so right. I went to Ben's Cookies afterwards (post to follow shortly) and got a cookie and coffee deal in their happy hour, i drank a few sips and chucked it!
      N xo

      Delete
  6. Cold coffee/iced coffee is served here in the u.s. alot. Its really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE iced coffee, never tried cold coffee though – I bet it's an interesting taste :)
      N xo

      Delete
  7. I am dying to live in Bath and often visited when I lived in Bristol. This place looks lovely - the aesthetic inside looks such a wonderful blend of clean and cosy. Cold coffee?! Sounds interesting. xo

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig