2 April 2014

Loving: Girls

There are almost no words for my love for Girls. Almost. Sometimes I get so ridiculously overwhelmed by this programme that I have to just calm down and remind myself that it all boils down to one simple fact: I LOVE Girls.

I love Lena Dunham, I love her characters, I love the script, I love the music, I love the direction, I love each story, I love the execution, I love the costumes.

 "All adventurous women do."
– series one, episode three.

Everything about this show is so honest and touching that I can't imagine my life without it now. Hannah is like, my closest friend. She goes through everything I go through and more. We both have small boobs, we are both writers, we both worry and think a littttttle bit too much to be considered normal, we're both younger than our age. We are just the same. And every other woman reading this is thinking, yep, everyone relates to Hannah, that's why it's such a good show, duh. Well yes, you ladies would be right. But when a TV show makes you feel special, like you're going to be ok actually, that someone else might be as sad or as lonely as you are, (maybe more), then something sort of relaxes inside of you.

Source
There's an episode in season two where Hannah has a bit of an OCD meltdown and somehow, even though I don't suffer from OCD, I related to her situation so much that I wanted to reach out to her on the other side of my dirty computer screen and watch funny YouTube videos with her at a sleepover and eat nachos and talk about things no one else will talk to me about.

Even in the saddest of episodes, when the reality of a break up is as raw and numb as any I have endured and I feel all of that all over again, all for the characters, it's still a show which I want to watch again and again.

Source

It never disappoints, always enlightens, inspires and pushes the boundaries. You'll see naked girls, naked guys, ugly bits, pretty bits, tattoos, piercings, short hair, flat hair, big hair, no hair, sex, drugs, post uni life. And perhaps that's the reason I relate to it so much. Even though the characters in Girls are in their mid twenties and I'm only 21, the sense of loss in the real big world is explored in this TV show through humour, sincerity and truth. Never have I felt so comforted, uplifted and inspired by a group of fictional girls who all walk such different yet connected lives, to which I can relate to each and every one.

And feminism. But the best thing of all, is that the feminism in Girls is not a shove-it-down-your-throat-i'm-always-right-angry-men-hating-female kind of feminism I had, admittedly, come to stereotype all feminism under, but one that speaks a universal truth to which both men and women can, or should, relate. The success of Girls is in the most plain as day aspect – the honesty of it all. And honesty is where feminism naturally falls into in this generation, isn't it? 

I could go on forever, I could ramble on and start to not make sense, and there are so many things to go into on the topic of Girls, but to really know what I'm talking about you just have to see it for yourself. There's a certain unknown brilliance about it, and I have yet to figure it out. I only wish I had discovered it sooner, and that it will never ever end.
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. I am absolutely ashamed to say I have never seen it, I read and hear so many good things about, the adverts look hilarious and I STILL haven't got round to it :'( I am going to try and start watching it online now I feel like I am missing out! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh Jessica you really are missing out! It's brilliant, and I hope you have watched it since you commented :)
      N xo

      Delete
  2. it's a great feeling to discover something that just "gets" you, isn't it? i've only watched the first 2 seasons I think, i liked them but i somehow fell off the routine of keeping up with it - i might try and catch up x

    Miho @ Wander to Wonder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't happen too often, but yes, it's just comforting in a way.
      N xo

      Delete
  3. I love it too Naomi! I feel exactly the same. I am obsessed with Lena Dunham, I think she's an absolute genius and I just... I just love her. I'm glad I'm not the only one OBSESSED with the show xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW is she so brilliant? It looks so effortless, obvious and easy that I think her honesty must be the key to it, so why is no one else as good??!
      N xo

      Delete
  4. SUCH a great show, isn't it? love seeing a post about it!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig