4 August 2013

Morning Bakes - Grandma's Pancakes

Since moving back home from University I have had quite a lot of time on my hands. I have cleaned and sorted out my entire bedroom, washed numerous items of clothing to get rid of the horrid smoke smell from my uni house (previous tenants' habits!), job searched, and in between all that boring stuff, baked!


My oldest sister, Sarah is also living at home at the moment studying for a Masters. She has Fridays off so I decided to make us some brunch. Sarah requested pancakes, and in our house pancakes are the scotch/American type, served with lots of Lurpak and a beverage of your choice. I choose coffee. Strong and black.


Grandma's pancakes come from a very old, tattered and dusted with flour green recipe book. Each recipe is handwritten by my Mum, and many of them were recipes from her Mum, this one included.
Everyone loves these pancakes. I have never had a single complaint. I won my uni friends over when I made these in halls way back in first year, and have made them on pancake day and lazy mornings ever since.


The best part about these pancakes is they are super quick and easy to make. They come out fluffy and brown like the stacks you get in American diners, and are delicious hot or cold. I smothered mine with peanut butter and sliced banana, almond butter and sliced strawberries, and simply strawberry jam. Other toppings I love: nutella, blueberry syrup, maple syrup - any kind of syrup, and of course, nut butter.


If you try this recipe I'd love to hear how your batch turns out. Or is there an irreplaceable pancake recipe in your household? Let me know in the comment box below!

Recipe for Grandma's Pancakes

Makes about 16 pancakes

You will need:
  • 200g self-raising flour
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 25g butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 8 tbsp milk 
  • Pinch salt
Method:
  1. In a mixing bowl, rub together the butter, sugar and flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk. Add a pinch of salt.
  3. Meanwhile, heat a knob of butter in a frying pan on a low heat.
  4. Pour the egg and milk mixture into the flour, sugar and butter mixture and stir with a metal spoon.
  5. Spoon a dessertspoonful of the pancake batter into the pan - it should fit about three. Cook until little bubbles start to appear and pop on the top side of the pancake. Then flip with a fish slice and cook for a further minute or so.
  6. Serve hot or cold and eat either plain or with a topping of your choice.
NB To make a wheat-free variety, replace the self-raising flour with 190g spelt flour and 10g baking powder.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I added blueberries to my mixture this morning. ... yummmmmmy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love pancakes, might try out this recipe next week! They look gorgeous :D xx
    www.LaurasHaven.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look great, I'll definitely be making these soon. happy I found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig