10 April 2019

Grain and Grind


My Grandpa and I have traditions. He is 89 and going to visit him in Glasgow has become a bi-annual (at least) occurrence – he is easy and pleasant company and I treasure every moment I get to spend with him. Firstly, we go to Morrisons to do a food shop, then we'll watch the soaps, drink lots of tea, eat Kit Kats (okay, that's just me) and, if I'm lucky, he'll make me his famous macaroni cheese for tea. Time spent in Glasgow is typically relaxed – a real break from my regular routine. Coffee and brunch must be incorporated, too, then, and having spied Grain and Grind on Tally's Instagram I decided to pay a visit after my Monday morning run (one habit I can't give up, no matter where I am in the world).


Since I ditched my 9-5 and started working in a coffee shop brunch has become a full-time hobby and I really can't complain. Food is one of life's greatest pleasures and, as one of the few things you can always rely on, I make a conscious effort to enjoy the very best of it.


The staff at Grain and Grind were some of the friendliest I have encountered in a while – super chill and accommodating but not overbearing. I took a seat by the window and ordered an oat flat white and the poached eggs and avocado with halloumi because treat yourself, and, can I just say, how perfect...


I don't know about you but sometimes when I go out by myself I feel a little self-conscious and can spend the entire time hiding behind my phone, but I felt at home at Grain and Grind and got to spend some time writing in my bullet journal, which always centres me. It was a calm space, yet nearly every table was occupied – I can imagine the buzz on weekends is just as delightful.

Every time I visit Glasgow I feel I could uproot and move to this beautiful city, spend more time with my Grandpa, find more time for solo brunches and the best coffee, but something bigger tells me the grass is always greener... so I think I'll stay put, for now, at least.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig